In 2009, our Chamber established an innovative Chamber Defense Enterprise Round Table to better serve this growing, job-producing business sector. Recently renamed, the Defense Affairs Committee (DAC), has become the leading defense intelligence enterprise advocate within the region.
In collaboration with the US Army National Ground Intelligence Center (NGIC) and US Department of Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), the Chamber DERT has helped refine educational and training needs of both those two federal agencies and the numerous Chamber enterprises that directly and indirectly support these agencies. In addition to the more than 2,000 federal workers employed by NGIC and DIA, the Chamber estimates that private defense and intelligence firms now employ approximately 1,000 people in the region.
The purpose of the Chamber’s DAC is to foster economic vitality by strengthening the relationships between the Chamber, the Central VA community, the local defense community, and our veterans.
DAC meetings are held quarterly. 2018 meeting dates will be posted soon. (Visit the events page for more information. Registration for each meeting will open a month in advance.)
Meetings focus on five main areas:
- Community engagement: Advocacy and support for the defense industry in our region.
- Government engagement: Advocate and support the needs of the local defense community with local, state and federal elected officials.
- Education: Identify and facilitate partnerships between the local defense community and local K-12 and higher education institutions for research and education.
- Sub-Committee Chair: Valerie Palamountain, Dean of Workforce Services, Piedmont VA Community: email@example.com
- Research: In process
- Sub-Committee Chair: Rob Jones, Associate Director, UVA Applied Research Institute: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veterans: Advocacy and support for veterans and their families.
- Sub-Committee Chair: Lettie Bien, US Army Reserve Ambassador: email@example.com
Click here to learn about local resources/organizations for veterans and military personnel.
Defense Affairs Committee Chair: Deborah van Eersel, UVa Foundation
Chamber of Commerce Representative: Pat Fleshman Burnette