CHARLOTTESVILLE — The following work is scheduled, weather permitting, on the Route 29 corridor in Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville during the upcoming week. Speed limits may be reduced and traffic movements may be restricted within highway work zones.
(UPDATE) Route 29/250 Bypass interchange – Contractor is installing storm drain structures, paving and constructing a retaining wall at the ramp. Motorists should be alert for equipment entering and exiting the highway.
- Sunday through Tuesday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., the southbound Route 29 outside lane will be closed at Angus Road and the right lane on Angus road will be closed for sidewalk removal.
- Wednesday through Thursday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., the southbound Route 29 outside lane will be closed from Hydraulic Road to Route 250 Bypass. The ramp to Route 250 Bypass west will be closed with a detour in place for motorists.
- Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., intermittent left-turn lane and crossover closures will be in place on Route 29 from Earhart Drive to Hydraulic Road.
- Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., the ramp from Barracks Road to eastbound Route 250 Bypass will be narrowed with a right shoulder closure. The eastbound Route 250 Bypass outside lane will be closed from Barracks Road to just east of the merge area.
(UPDATE) Rio Road grade-separated intersection – Utility relocation work continues in the vicinity of the Rio Road intersection. The following work is scheduled Sunday through Friday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.:
- Alternating triple lane closures will be in place on northbound Route 29 from Fashion Square Drive to Albemarle Square.
- Alternating triple lane closures will be in place on southbound Route 29 from Albemarle Square to Fashion Square Drive.
- A single left-turn lane from eastbound Rio Road to northbound Route 29 will be closed.
- Rio Road will be closed to through traffic at its intersection with Route 29. Right turns will be permitted at the intersection but the crossover will be closed to through traffic and left-turn movements. A single lane will be maintained for local business traffic. Motorists should follow posted detour signs.
- Shoulders closed on Route 29 at the intersections of Twentyninth Place Court, Fashion Square Drive, Ashwood Boulevard, and North Hollymead Drive. Work will be completed one intersection at a time.
(UPDATE) Route 29 widening – Median clearing from Polo Grounds Road to Towncenter Drive. The following work on Route 29 is scheduled Sunday through Friday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.:
- Alternating lanes closed in both directions from Towncenter Drive to Rio Mills Road. Traffic stops of up to 10 minutes will be necessary for safe clearing of trees in median. Expect minor delays.
More information about these projects, and other Route 29 Solutions projects, can be found on the project website, www.Route29Solutions.org. Information about other Culpeper District activities that will affect traffic is also available on Twitter at @VaDOTCULP and on VDOT’s website at: www.virginiadot.org/travel/travel_alerts/culpeper/default.asp.