CHARLOTTESVILLE — The following work is scheduled, weather permitting, on the Route 29 corridor in Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville during the upcoming week. Speed limits may be reduced and traffic movements may be restricted within highway work zones.
(UPDATE) Route 29/250 Bypass interchange – Contractor is performing excavation work near the ramp, grading and curb installation in the median and constructing a retaining wall at the ramp. Motorists should be alert for equipment entering and exiting the highway.
- On Monday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., intermittent left-turn lane closures will be in place on Route 29 from Earhart Drive to Angus Road.
- Monday through Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., intermittent left-turn lane and crossover closures will be in place on Route 29 from Angus Road to Hydraulic Road.
- Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., the westbound Route 250 Bypass outside lane will be closed from Hydraulic Road to Barracks Road.
- Wednesday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., the ramp from Route 250 Bypass west to Barracks Road will be narrowed with a left shoulder closure.
- Monday and Tuesday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., the southbound Route 29 outside lane will be closed from Hydraulic Road to Route 250.
(UPDATE) Rio Road grade-separated intersection – Utility relocation work continues in the vicinity of the Rio Road intersection.
- On Sunday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.:
- On Rio Road East, single westbound right lane and right-turn lane will be closed from Albemarle Square to Route 29.
- Northbound Route 29 right lane closed from Fashion Square Drive to Albemarle Square.
- Monday through Friday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.:
- Alternating triple lane closures will be in place on northbound Route 29 from Berkmar Drive to Albemarle Square.
- Triple right lane closures will be in place on southbound Route 29 from Albemarle Square to Fashion Square Drive.
- Rio Road will be closed to through traffic at its intersection with Route 29. Right turns will be permitted at the intersection but the crossover will be closed to through traffic and left-turn movements. Rio Road East westbound lanes will be closed from Albemarle Square to Route 29. Motorists should follow posted detour signs.
- Shoulder closed on Berkmar Drive at Hilton Heights Road for clearing work.
(UPDATE) Route 29 widening – Median clearing from Polo Grounds Road to Towncenter Drive.
- Sunday through Friday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., left lane closed on southbound Route 29 from Towncenter Drive to Polo Grounds Road. Traffic stops of up to 10 minutes will be necessary for safe clearing of trees in median. Expect minor delays.
- Monday through Friday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., left lane closed on northbound Route 29 from Polo Grounds Road to Towncenter Drive.
(UPDATE) Adaptive traffic signal control system – Rebuilding signal at Berkmar Drive and Woodbrook Drive.
- Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., intermittent lane closures in both directions on Woodbrook Drive and Berkmar Drive. A full closure of the intersection may be required for approximately 15 minutes while crews install signal mast arms.
(NEW) Dominion Drive – Utility work at the intersection of Dominion Drive and Route 29. The eastbound lane and right-turn lane to Route 29 south will be closed to traffic, daily. A signed detour will direct traffic west on Dominion Drive, then left onto Commonwealth Drive, and then left on Greenbrier Drive, which carries traffic back to Route 29.
More information about these projects, and other Route 29 Solutions projects, can be found on the project website, www.Route29Solutions.org. Information about other Culpeper District activities that will affect traffic is also available on Twitter at @VaDOTCULP and on VDOT’s website at: www.virginiadot.org/travel/travel_alerts/culpeper/default.asp.