CHARLOTTESVILLE — The following work is scheduled, weather permitting, on the Route 29 corridor in Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville during the upcoming week. Speed limits may be reduced and traffic movements may be restricted within highway work zones.
(UPDATE) Route 29/250 Bypass interchange – Contractor is installing storm drain structures; installing a new traffic signal at Angus Road; building sidewalks and installing guardrail in the Route 29 median; and widening the ramp. Motorists should be alert for equipment entering and exiting the highway.
- Sunday through Tuesday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., the southbound Route 29 outside lane will be closed from Hydraulic Road to the Route 250 Bypass. The ramp to westbound Route 250 Bypass will be closed with a detour in place for motorists.
- On Monday and Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to noon:
- Installation of sidewalks along Route 29 at the Angus Road intersection. Right shoulder closures will be in place in both directions of Route 29 in the vicinity of the intersection.
- Installation of drainage structures along the Barracks Road ramp to the Route 250 Bypass eastbound. The ramp will be narrowed with a right shoulder closure. The acceleration lane on Route 250 Bypass eastbound will be shortened and motorists will be required to stop before merging into the travel lane. The eastbound Route 250 Bypass right shoulder will be closed in the vicinity of the merge area.
- The ramp from Route 250 Bypass west to Barracks Road will be narrowed with a left shoulder closure.
- The westbound Route 250 Bypass outside lane will be closed from Hydraulic Road to Barracks Road.
(UPDATE) Rio Road grade-separated intersection – Utility relocation work continues in the vicinity of the Rio Road intersection. The following work is scheduled Sunday through Tuesday nights from 8:30 p.m. to 7 a.m.:
- Alternating triple lane closures will be in place on northbound Route 29 from Fashion Square Drive to Albemarle Square. Motorists wishing to turn left from Route 29 to Rio Road should use Berkmar Drive as the detour route.
- Alternating triple lane closures will be in place on southbound Route 29 from Albemarle Square to Fashion Square Drive. Motorists wishing to turn left from Route 29 to Rio Road should use Branchlands Boulevard and Hillsdale Drive as the detour route.
- Both directions of Rio Road will be closed in the vicinity of the intersection with a single lane open for local business traffic. Motorists wishing to reach Route 29 should follow posted detour signs.
(UPDATE) Route 29 widening – Median clearing from Polo Grounds Road to Towncenter Drive. The following work on Route 29 is scheduled Sunday through Tuesday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.:
- Single alternating lane closures will occur on northbound and southbound Route 29 from Towncenter Drive to Rio Mills Road.
More information about these projects, and other Route 29 Solutions projects, can be found on the project website, www.Route29Solutions.org. Information about other Culpeper District activities that will affect traffic is also available on Twitter at @VaDOTCULP and on VDOT’s website at: www.virginiadot.org/travel/travel_alerts/culpeper/default.asp.