CHARLOTTESVILLE — The following work is scheduled, weather permitting, on the Route 29 corridor in Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville during the upcoming week. Speed limits may be reduced and traffic movements may be restricted within highway work zones.
(UPDATE) Route 29/250 Bypass interchange – Contractor is performing excavation work near the ramp, grading and curb installation in the median and constructing a retaining wall at the ramp. Motorists should be alert for equipment entering and exiting the highway.
- Sunday through Thursday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., the outside lane on Route 29 southbound will be closed from Hydraulic Road to the Route 250 Bypass. The ramp to Route 250 Bypass westbound will be closed with a detour posted for motorists.
- Wednesday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Route 250 Bypass westbound exit ramp to Barracks Road will be narrowed with a shoulder closure.
- Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., intermittent left-turn lane and crossover closures will be in place on Route 29 from Earhart Drive to Hydraulic Road.
- Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., the westbound Route 250 Bypass outside lane will be closed.
(UPDATE) Rio Road grade-separated intersection – Utility relocation work continues in the vicinity of the Rio Road intersection. The following work is scheduled Sunday through Friday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.:
- Alternating triple lane closures will be in place on northbound Route 29 from Fashion Square Drive to Albemarle Square.
- Alternating triple lane closures will be in place on southbound Route 29 from Albemarle Square to Fashion Square Drive.
- Single left-turn lane from Rio Road eastbound to Route 29 northbound will be closed.
- Rio Road will be closed to through traffic at its intersection with Route 29. Right turns will be permitted at the intersection but the crossover will be closed to through traffic and left-turn movements. Rio Road East will be closed in both directions from Albemarle Square to Route 29. A single lane will be maintained for local business traffic. Motorists should follow posted detour signs.
(UPDATE) Route 29 widening – Median clearing from Polo Grounds Road to Towncenter Drive. The following work on Route 29 is scheduled Sunday through Friday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.:
- The left lane will be closed in both directions from Towncenter Drive to Rio Mills Road. Traffic stops of up to 10 minutes will be necessary for safe clearing of trees in median. Expect minor delays.
- Intermittent shoulder and lane closures will be in place between Berkmar Drive and Hilton Heights Road.
(UPDATE) Adaptive traffic signal control system – Rebuilding signal at Berkmar Drive and Woodbrook Drive.
- Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., right turn lane closures in both directions on Woodbrook Drive.
Dominion Drive – Utility work at the intersection of Dominion Drive and Route 29. The eastbound lane and right-turn lane to Route 29 south will be closed to traffic, daily. A signed detour will direct traffic west on Dominion Drive, then left onto Commonwealth Drive, and then left on Greenbrier Drive, which carries traffic back to Route 29.
More information about these projects, and other Route 29 Solutions projects, can be found on the project website, www.Route29Solutions.org. Information about other Culpeper District activities that will affect traffic is also available on Twitter at @VaDOTCULP and on VDOT’s website at: www.virginiadot.org/travel/travel_alerts/culpeper/default.asp.