(Charlottesville, Va.) – Piedmont Virginia Community College’s Workforce Services Division will host health care information sessions in April, May, June, July and August. The first session is on Wednesday, April 18, 2018, at 10 a.m., at PVCC’s Jefferson School Center, located at 233 Fourth Street NW in Charlottesville.
The sessions will focus on four PVCC noncredit health care programs:
- Clinical medical assistant (CCMA): This career pathway prepares students by focusing on phlebotomy and electrocardiogram (EKG) training. Students will learn how to collect patient blood samples and conduct an EKG test. Next class begins in November 2018.
- Pharmacy technician program with clinical externship: Through this program and externship, students learn how to process a prescription, create non-sterile compounds and ensure proper medication safety and management. The training also prepares students for the ExCPT exam, offered by the National Healthcare Association, which is required to register as a pharmacy technician in Virginia.
- Certified nurse aide (CNA): This 136-hour state approved noncredit class prepares students to take the Virginia exam to become a certified nurse aide (CNA), where they will work under the supervision of a licensed practical nurse, registered nurse, or physician as an entry-level nurse aide in a variety of inpatient and outpatient care settings such as long-term care facilities, physician offices, clinics and home settings. Next class begins in May 2018.
- Registered medication aide (RMA): The medication aide training class prepares students to take the Virginia exam to become a registered medication aide (RMA). Through the program, students learn about the safe administration of medication, prepared instillations and treatments; documentation, storage and disposal of medications; as well as legal and ethical issues and an introduction to pharmacology. Next class begins in August 2018.
Each session will also discuss financial aid options, program expectations and requirements. The upcoming health care information sessions are as follows:
- Thursday, April 19, 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 22, 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 23, 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, June 12, 10 a.m.
- Wednesday, June 13, 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 10, 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 11, 10 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 1, 10 a.m.
- Thursday, August 2, 5 p.m.
All sessions will be held at PVCC’s Jefferson School Center in Charlottesville. Sessions are free and are open to the public. For more information, contact JoAnna Collins, health care programs manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 434.961.5354.