FIRST 2016 BOARD MEETING – TUESDAY, JANUARY 26th – 7:15AM
HOMEWOOD SUITES – 2036 INDIA ROAD (TOWARDS SEMINOLE SQUARE) – CHARLOTTESVILLE
- Also transmitted is Board Memorandum (16 – 2) – 2016 Board of Directors meetings, provided to help you plan your 2016 schedule.
- January is our annual board reorganization meeting. Joining our Chamber Board as of January 1st are: Simone Alley (CenturyLink), Keely Byars (The Daily Progress), Peter Caramanis (Royer, Caramanis & McDonough), and, Chuck Rotgin (Great Eastern Management Corp). Welcome! Also attached is the listing of all Chamber Directors and terms and the 2016 Chamber Executive Committee.
- Enclosed is our Chamber Calendar – “2016 At A Glance”– laying out our evolving 2016 Chamber program. As always, it is “under construction” (those in green are set) and will change throughout the year as events, speakers, etc. shift. Please pencil these dates into your personal Chamber calendar.
- Upcoming events include:
- Our first 2016 gig is a “Let’s Connect” After Hours on Thursday, January 21st at Blue Ridge Bank on US29-North.
- Our Chamber Business Women’s Round Table will again hold is signature event: the all-day 2015 Chamber “Quadruplicity” Conference: Balance of Life, Career, Money & Health – underwritten by University of Virginia Health System February 11th at the DoubleTree Hotel; and,
- Our Annual Chamber Business Luncheon to be held on February 17th at the Holiday Inn – underwritten by Virginia National Bank and R. E. Lee Companies – will feature the awarding of the Chamber Hovey S. Dabney Award for Corporate Citizenship (nomination deadline – January 29th), the results of our Annual Member Economic Survey, and a summary Annual Chamber Report (a fuller annual report is also incorporated into the Annual Chamber Directory. Virginia Business publisher Bernie Niemeier is our featured speaker, Stay tuned for more!
- We will forward the December 2015 & FY2015 (unaudited) financial statements later this month. Preliminary numbers show a thin FY2015 operating surplus of about $10K-$15K (1.6% / 2.3% of $645,000 in total revenues). The Chamber Fund Balance as of December 31, 2015 should be at approximately +/-$50,000. Our FY2015 End-Of-Year Financials Report (unaudited) will be provided prior to our January Board meeting.
- Attached is: 2015 Chamber Attendance Report. Overall attendance increased by +9.4% – Business After Hours and other unpaid event attendance increased +3.2%; attendance at paid events increased by +16.7%).
- Our total Chamber membership increased by +34 (+2.8%) and stands at approximately 1,249 member (791+) and affiliate member enterprises (+/-440) as of December 31st. Let’s work at re-building our base in 2016!
- Also attached is the FY2016 Chamber Annual Operating Budget.
- My late January and February schedule will constrict my in-office & meetings schedule – but not my telephonic and electronic abilities – as I am scheduled for my third spinal surgery on January 19th. This one, like the first operation (August 2014) is extensive, involving another set of “engineering” (screws, rods, bone-graft, laminectomy, etc.) at L4-5, maybe L3-4 also. My diagnosis by UVA orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Francis Shen, is “textbook spinal arthritis” – which is proving a bit more difficult to tame. Dr. Shen is another one of UVA’s world-recognized, and acclaimed Doctors. I have all the confidence in the world in him and the UVA team. After a few days in the hospital and a few weeks recovery at home, I’ll be back in the office. In the meantime, we have assembled a talented, skilled professional Chamber staff to handle things smoothly and keep me plugged in.